Orlando residents describe scene while in Boston for marathon



ORLANDO, Fla. - Dozens of central Floridians who were at the Boston Marathon Monday arrived at Orlando International Airport and spoke with WFTV reporter Steve Barrett on Tuesday.

Two bombs blew up seconds apart at the finish line on Monday of one of the world's most storied races. The explosions left the streets spattered with blood and glass, killing three people, including 8-year-old Martin Richard.

More than 140 were wounded.

"I was a block away from the first and across the street from the second," said witness Tammy Stockdill, of Clermont.

Stockdill didn't have the experience she hoped for of watching her husband, Ed Gerry, run his first marathon. She said she was front and center as both blasts rocked the finish line.

"Just the things flying and people running, and it was like a war zone. I guess, like a bad movie," she said.

Stockdill said she lost track of her husband in the chaos as she tried to help an injured runner.

"I think that's what helped me stay calm, because I was thinking as a first-aid responder and taking care of her, knowing that she could go into shock any minute," Stockdill said.

Meanwhile, Gerry saw a crowd running toward him with just two-tenths of a mile to go.

"And the crowd was running towards us, so no we had no idea what was going on," he said.

The two were eventually reunited and only then did Gerry find out what had happened.

"I'm still kind of shocked being there when the bombs went off," Gerry said.

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing, the Orlando Police Department is stepping up security at events around town, including the upcoming Corporate 5K, which will be held in downtown Orlando on Thursday.

Police Chief Paul Rooney released a statement saying safety is the number one concern, and there will be significant law enforcement and security presence at upcoming events.

The dean of the Rollins College Chapel, Patrick Powers, was directly affected by the Boston Marathon bombings.

Powers' sister, husband and their son were sitting at the finish line when the bombs went off.

Powers' brother in-law was the most severely injured, losing one leg above the knee.

His sister suffered a broken hand.