Firefighters: 5-year-old boy started Palm Bay house fire


PALM BAY, Fla. - A 5-year-old boy started a fire inside his family's Palm Bay home Monday afternoon, according to Palm Bay Fire Rescue.

Firefighters said the boy and his 3-year-old sister were in a bedroom when he found a lighter.

According of officials, the boy began lighting small items on fire, eventually catching a mattress on fire.

“The smoke detector alerted the mother who was in the living room at the time of the fire,” said Assistant Fire Marshal Ron Bailey.

Everyone was able to get out of the house safely, firefighters said.

Damage to the single family home on Bacon Circle Northeast was estimated to be $5,000.

According a department representative, the boy will have to attend the department's Juvenile Fire Setters Intervention Course.