• Hot food left on mattress sparks house fire in Palm Bay


    PALM BAY, Fla. - Officials said hot food that was placed on a mattress sparked a house fire in Palm Bay Saturday morning.

    The fire broke out at a home on the 400 block of Crystal Mist Road NW around 10 a.m.

    According to officials, a 15-year-old was babysitting three children at the home when the fire sparked.

    One of the children, a 6-year-old, cooked food in the microwave, put it in a towel and placed it on a mattress. The mattress caught fire and spread to the structure of the home, officials said.

    Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, but the damage to the home is estimated to be around $20,000, according to officials.

    No one was injured in the fire and the Red Cross is assisting the family.

    Firefighters said there were no working smoke detectors in the home.




    Next Up: