Brevard home destroyed in Christmas Eve fire

Updated:

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. —

Fire rescue officials said a family in Brevard County is homeless after their house was destroyed in a fire on Christmas Eve.

The fire broke out around 9 p.m. at a home on Amy Way in Mims, officials said. When crews first arrived at the scene, heavy smoke and fire was coming from the garage area.

According to firefighters, all of the residents made it out of the home safely.

Crews were able to knock down the fire after about an hour, but not before the home sustained heavy damage. Fire officials said it's believed that an electric golf cart may have sparked the blaze.