• Cell phone charger sparks Palm Bay house fire


    PALM BAY, Fla. - A cell phone charger and electrical issues at a Palm Bay home are to blame for a fire that broke out Saturday evening, officials said.

    Fire rescue crews responded to the home on the 500 block of Olivia Street SW shortly after 5 p.m.

    Once on scene crews found a fire in a bedroom of the home. Firefighters said the fire started on a mattress in the room.

    Investigators determined a resident was using a cell phone charger that was placed on top of the mattress. The cell phone charger and electrical issues at the home are being blamed for sparking the blaze, according to authorities.

    Crews were able to contain the fire to the bedroom, but not before it caused roughly $5,000 in damage. Officials said no one was injured in the fire.

    Next Up: