Cemetery under investigation after graves dug up, coffins moved

Updated:

Loading

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. - A Seminole County family is upset after finding out their loved ones' graves were dug up and coffins were exposed at a Casselberry cemetery.

Three dug-up coffins are currently exposed at the graveyard off U.S. 17-92 in Casselberry, which is under investigation for moving graves.

Lora Argro and her sister said they're furious that their mom's and grandmother's grave were moved apart.

"This is so disrespectful. We are mortified. There is no respect for the dead," Argro said.

Argro noticed Wednesday night that three more graves were being dug up and Eyewitness News was there Thursday as a coffin was lifted out of the ground.

State officials said the cemetery is under investigation and they couldn't comment. WFTV's legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said what the graveyard owners are doing is not a crime.

"Although some people may find this despicable, this does not rise to the level of criminal conduct," Sheaffer said.

Argro said she has plans to meet state investigators at the graveyard, even though the cemetery chairman threatened to have her trespassed.

"This is not a department store; This is a cemetery that I go to pay my respect to my mother," Argro said.

It's unlikely investigators will see the exposed coffins. When Skywitness 9 flew over the cemetery Thursday afternoon, they had been covered with dirt.