Changes may be coming to Orange County commission

Updated:

Loading

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - Some big changes could take place Tuesday for the way Orange County commissioners do business.

They are expected to pass a resolution that will ban the use of personal phones or computers, while on the job.

The move comes after a state investigation.

State agents are trying to figure out if commissioners broke laws by deleting text message exchanges and emails with lobbyists during the vote on the sick-time bill.

Tuesday, Mayor Teresa Jacobs is asking commissioners to agree to a plan that might keep them out of hot water in the future

WFTV asked Jacobs about how she deleted text messages that had been sent and received during a controversial meeting about paid sick-time.

"It didn't occur to me to be an issue at all, and then suddenly it became a huge issue," said Jacobs.

In September, the board was voting on whether private companies in the county should have to pay sick-time.

Two studies show the ordinance could've cost businesses in the county between $60 million and $80 million a year.         

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement said it’s investigating whether commissioners broke the law by deleting text messages to and from lobbyists during that meeting, where the measure failed.

County officials have said because of the broad scope of Florida's public records law, things like text messages were not explicitly included, but now they plan to make sure there's no confusion.

Critics said there shouldn't have been confusion in the first place.

“This is asking the fox to guard the hen house. It's too little, too late," said Maria McCluskey of Citizens for a Greater Orange County.

Just last week, an appeals court ruled the county must put that sick-time initiative on the ballot.

Commissioners will also take a vote on that Tuesday afternoon.