Defense wants to delay start of Zimmerman trial



ORLANDO, Fla. - George Zimmerman’s defense attorney is asking to delay the murder trial against his client due to time and money constraints.

Zimmerman is accused of fatally shooting Trayvon Martin in Sanford last year, claiming the teenager attacked him and he fired in self-defense.

In the motion, defense attorney Mark O’Mara said his team needs more time to prepare the case.

O’Mara told Channel 9 they're still waiting on Florida Department of Law Enforcement reports connected to their investigation of the shooting. He said he hopes to ready to go to trial by December.

Secondly, O’Mara said Zimmerman's defense fund is nearly empty, so his team has launched a new website to collect a new round of donations.

“Certainly, the reality is the defense fund is about empty,” he said. “And so, if we're going to fund this case through a defense fund effort, we need time for it to replenish itself or find some alternatives."

The defense said Zimmerman must raise $30,000 every month or taxpayers will be forced to pay for his defense whenever the trial starts.

O’Mara posted a detailed list on his website showing how Zimmerman spent the $314,000 raised so far.

About $95,000 of that money was used to bond Zimmerman out of jail. Then, $61,000 was used to cover living expenses, including extended stay hotels, until lawyers found a house that was safe enough to rent.

Zimmerman's lawyers also said Zimmerman has gained more than 100 pounds due to the stress of the case.

The hearing to continue the case is set for Tuesday. O’Mara said he expects a the judge to rule on the motion that day.