SANFORD, Fla. - Trayvon Martin is gone, but his memory continues to be on the minds of many -- including the United States attorney general.
"I hope that we will approach this necessary, difficult dialogue with the same dignity as those who have lost the most -- Trayvon's parents," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said.
Holder spoke at a luncheon in Washington, D.C., Monday, and told the audience he shares their concerns about the shooting of the unarmed teen.
The Department of Justice opened an investigation into the shooting last year.
The investigation continues and will now include evidence from the trial.
"I want to assure you that the department will act in a manner that is consistent with the facts of the law," Holder said.
WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said the federal government bringing federal hate-crime charges against George Zimmerman is highly unlikely.
Zimmerman was acquitted of state charges in the shooting death of Martin in a Sanford courtroom Saturday night.
"The federal government does not have the evidence that George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin based upon race," Sheaffer said.
Sheaffer said all the evidence came out at trial over the past five weeks.
Holder is scheduled to travel to Orlando Tuesday to speak at the NAACP's annual convention.