Updated:ORLANDO, Fla. —
An Orlando woman is recovering after firefighters had to pull her out of her burning house.
Orlando Fire Department officials said the fire started in the kitchen area of the house on Lake Underhill Road at about 1 a.m. Monday and generated a lot of smoke.
Authorities said the woman was overcome by the smoke before she could escape.
"I hopped the fence here, went to the back of the house. I could immediately see her head in the bathroom window. I went in contact with her, told her to try and get to the next window over, broke into that window there," said Rob Petroff of the Orlando Fire Department.
A group of neighbors alerted authorities and initially tried to help the elderly woman before firefighters saved her.
"I cleared out the glass, laid down the drapes from the curtains. I was able to hop him in, he was able to pull her out," said Ray Cordero of the Orlando Fire Department.
The Fire Department said the woman placed the oven on a setting to clean it when something sparked the fire.
"She was initially unconscious when they pulled her from the structure," said Bryan Davis of the Orlando Fire Department.
"As soon as we got her out she pretty much collapsed at that point," said Cordero.
The woman was taken to the hospital, where she is said to be in stable condition.
Her name has not been released.