LONGWOOD, Fla. - A 29-year-old Longwood man accused of trying to rape a girl and kill her family last month is being hit with 14 more charges.
The investigation began after the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said it received a tip from a confidential informant that Shawn Thomas was planning to lure the parents and a juvenile girl into a vacant house under the guise of producing a film or TV show.
Thomas then planned to kill the parents with a knife and rape and kill the child, authorities said. Thomas also planned to film the rape and produce a DVD to sell, said investigators.
The new charges against Thomas include armed burglary, attempted kidnapping, child porn and attempted murder. They come after more alleged victims in the case came forward a couple weeks ago.
"With these new charges and the new evidence they bring, it's almost a guarantee prosecutors can put this guy away for the rest of his life," said WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer.
According to the FDLE, Thomas lured a father, grandfather and a child to a vacant house in Longwood on June 7 by saying he was a student making a film.
The family became suspicious and left, but agents said they believe Thomas was going to try his plan again a short time later.
The father of another girl who had a photo shoot scheduled with Thomas stopped by the location early and noticed a "for sale" sign in the yard of the home. Authorities said the father left and came back later for the appointment and noticed the sign was gone but saw there was plastic lining the floor inside.
FDLE said at the time of his arrest, Thomas had a bag containing a knife, sexual lubricant, a camera and tripod, and plastic sheets.
After those two families contacted authorities, more alleged victims have come forward, which resulted in the additional charges, bringing the total to 26.
Thomas is in the Seminole County Jail without bond.
Anyone with information regarding Thomas or the investigation is asked to please contact the FDLE Orlando Regional Operations Center at 800-226-8521.