• Suspect named as search, possibly connected to missing child, continues in Osceola County


    OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. - Authorities resumed their search in a rural area of Osceola County Tuesday.

    Osceola County deputies are helping Lee County deputies in the search, but no one has confirmed whether it is in connection with a 9-year-old girl who was reported missing last week.

    Deputies were at Highway 60 and Peavine Road in Yeehaw Junction on Monday afternoon, using ATVs and riding horses to search grassy and wooded areas.

    An Amber Alert was issued for Diana Alvares, 9, of Fort Myers, last week.

    Alvares was believed to be with Jorge Guerrero-Torres, who was located in Okeechobee over the weekend, but there was no sign of Alvares.

    According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Guerrero-Torres has been named a suspect in the girl’s disappearance.

    Raw: Deputies from two counties search rural area in Yeehaw Junction

    Guerrero-Torres was arrested over the weekend on unrelated child-pornography charges.

    Authorities discovered inappropriate images on his cellphone through a search warrant.

    Deputies said he had been living with Alvares’ family until he moved out a few days before the girl vanished.

    Authorities were able to track his whereabouts since May 28.

    An affidavit said Guerrero traveled from Orlando to Fort Myers.

    The affidavit states GPS data showed he was in Fort Myers at the time of the girl's disappearance.

    According to the report, data showed Guerrero-Torrres made a stop in Yeehaw Junction before returning to Orlando in a different car. 

    It also said Steven Morehouse, a landscape worker who lives in Daytona Beach, found Guerrero Torres’ cellphone in the grass near an Orlando apartment complex.  

    Timeline: Arrest of Guerrero-Torres

    Guerrero-Torres called his own phone and spoke to the landscaper, and told him he could keep the phone, but never gave the landscaper the code to get into the phone.

    “I saw a phone there and picked it up,” said Morehouse. “The phone was on. It was kind of dead. I plugged it in to keep it charged. I couldn’t get into it because it was locked.”

    But on Friday, investigators found Morehouse with the phone in Daytona Beach with the phone and confiscated it in front of his co-workers.

    “It felt like we were watching a movie. They came in and they were straight and direct, and surrounded the car at gunpoint, but it was for a good reason,” said Jude Antrum, the owner of the lawn service.

    “I wish I could do more. I’m glad to be a piece of the puzzle,” Morehouse said.

    A car matching the description of the one Alvares and Guerrero-Torres were believed to be traveling in was found last week.

    No other information on the case was immediately released.

    Next Up: