Updated:BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. —
An electrical fire reduced a Brevard County family's home to rubble Tuesday night. Fire officials are estimating the damage at around $500,000.
The house is on Lake Washington Road near Bahia Lane in Melbourne.
Investigators said the fire started at the corner of the house where it connected to power lines.
Two people who were in the house made it out safely, but one of their pets did not.
"I looked out and the flames were coming out of the roof. The truck was in the back and the flames everything was falling on top of the truck," said neighbor Tim Boylan.
Boylan said he and his family rushed across the street to check on his neighbors, who were already coming out of their house.
Boylan's son pulled one of the couple's pets to safety.
"The living room was pretty much in flames . I went in to try to find the dogs. I went in (and) got one of the little dogs out. I couldn't find the one big one," said Ryan Harris.
Brevard County Fire Rescue officials said thousands of rounds of ammunition in the home helped fuel the fire. They said crews had to transport water to the scene because there were no hydrants nearby. Some water had to be pumped from a pool.
Firefighters said the home is being called a total loss.
"I'm very relieved my neighbors, they're okay. You have to take care of one another. Not too many people do that these days," said Boylan.