• 2-alarm condo fire an accident, officials said

    Updated:

    TITUSVILLE, Fla. - Investigators said a massive fire that displaced dozens of residents at a Brevard County condominium was an accident.

    The fire ripped through 15 units at the Shadow Wood Condos on Raney Road in Titusville Thursday night.

    Investigators said a resident trying to heat a towel in the microwave may have started the fire.

    “Someone put a towel in the microwave on the third floor and when they yanked the towel out it caught fire. When it hit the floor, it [set] the floor on fire,” said fire victim Coet Combs.

    Firefighters said it was a fully-involved, two-alarm fire and caused part of the roof of the building to collapse.

    "I never expected it to be like a fire–fire.  I thought somebody got their grill on fire or something. I just couldn't believe how fast that building caught on fire. It was unbelievable," said victim Kathleen Baker.

    They said it started on a third-floor balcony around 7:30 p.m.

    Officials said no one was injured and the Red Cross is helping the 19 residents who were displaced.

    "All I have right now is the clothes on my back," displaced victim, Troy Christensen, said.

    Firefighters said residents may never get any belongings out, even in the lesser-damaged units.

    “Because of the collapse and type of construction there may not be any retrievable [items] until the demolition process, if that happens,” said Battalion Chief Scott Gaenicke.

    The First Baptist Church of Titusville bused residents to a nearby hotel.

    Officials have not declared an official cause of the blaze.

    Next Up: