• Space heater could be to blame for sparking Holly Hill house fire


    HOLLY HILL, Fla. - A space heater could be to blame for a fire that tore through a home in Holly Hill early Tuesday morning.

    Firefighters raced to the home on Primrose Lane after flames were reported about 12:30 a.m.

    Neighbor Robert Whealen said he saw the flames and then saw someone trying to extinguish them with a garden hose.

    “He grabbed the water hose, was trying to spray it on there before the fire department got here,” said Whealen. “And the fire department asked him to stand back, and he was still trying to help."

    When fire crews arrived, they didn’t find anyone in the home, but the flames were shooting out of the windows.

    A dog and several birds were killed in the blaze.

    The home suffered major damage to the bedroom and the roof.

    At the time of the fire, the family was down the street attending a New Year's Eve party, authorities said.

    The cause of the fire is still being investigated, but officials believe a space heater could be to blame.

    Next Up: