Trial set for June 2015 for those involved in alleged prison escape scheme

Updated:

Loading

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - Six men charged in an alleged scheme that allowed two convicted killers to walk away from a Florida prison were all in an Orange County courtroom Monday.

Last year, Joseph Jenkins, 34, and Charles Walker, 35, made national news when investigators said the pair used forged paperwork to escape the Franklin Correctional Institue in Carabelle, Florida.

Willie Slater is accused of forging the signature of Orange-Osceola Chief Judge Belvin Perry, which ultimately allowed the duo to be set free.

Investigators said fake documents helped Jenkins walk out of prison in September. Walker did the same thing in October.

After an extensive manhunt, the two were arrested at a Panama City Beach motel.

Investigators said Jenkins and Walker were aided by former state prison inmates.

While the elaborate scheme temporarily freed the two inmates, it involved several key players, including 48-year-old Nydeed Nashaddai, who the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said was the master mind of the operation.  

In Monday's hearing, the judge granted a request by prosecutors to re-fingerprint and palm-print the men.

The judge also agreed to issue a protective order for witnesses and defendants in the case.

Prosecutors said they expect the trial to last four to five weeks. The judge said the trial will begin in June 2015.

Previous Story:  FDLE: Several suspects targeted in escaped prisoners investigation