Mom: Walgreens pharmacist mistakenly put heart meds in son's prescription bag

Updated:

Loading
OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. —

A mother said she was outraged with Walgreens after she was accidentally given heart medicine for her 9-year-old son, who needed ointment for his eye infection.

Debra Thomas-Page dropped off the prescription for her son Ryan at the Walgreens on Cypress Parkway in the Poinciana area.

When she picked up the prescription, Thomas-Page said a pharmacist had put metoprolol in the bag.

Metoprolol is commonly given to a person who has had a heart attack.

When she went back to the store, the assistant manager was dismayed by the mistake. But Thomas-Page said the pharmacist was rude.

"I was fine speaking to the assistant manager, but the pharmacist (was) calling me back there and even trying to talk down to me like a child. I don't appreciate that at all," Thomas-Page said. "I went to them to say, 'You guys could've killed my son.' And basically they said, 'You got a refund back, what else?'"

WFTV emailed Walgreens for a comment, but has not heard back.