• Officials: Electrical outlet sparks fire in Daytona Beach


    DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Firefighters said a family is receiving help from the Red Cross after their home was damaged in a fire Saturday evening.

    Crews responded to the home on the 1000 block of Continental Drive shortly before 7:30 p.m. Once on scene, officials said flames and smoke could be seen inside the one-story house.

    According to investigators, the fire started in an electrical outlet that was being used to charge a cellphone. Firefighters were able to knock down the fire, but not before it caused around $30,000 in damage, officials said.

    Florida Power and Light was called in as a precaution to disconnect power to the home. Officials said no one was injured.

    Next Up: