Updated:ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. —
Orange County leaders announced safety improvements for a dangerous stretch of Landstar Boulevard near State Road 417 Thursday night.
Early last month a young boy was hit by a truck and killed in the area as he was walking to school.
The boy's mother was a powerful voice at the County Commission meeting.
She opened up about her son's untimely death and how she believes it could've been easily prevented if appropriate safety measures were in place.
“There’s no crossing guard there. There's not flashing lights there. It's nothing there,” Brunilda Vallejo said.
Her 6-year-old son, Jaden Vallejo, and his brother and two friends were heading to Meadow Woods Elementary School last month when he was struck and killed by a tractor-trailer, troopers said.
Vallejo, along with other local residents, urged county leaders to improve pedestrian safety in the area during a public meeting hosted by Commissioner Jennifer Thompson.
After a recent roadway study, county officials announced changes, including new school crossings signs, which should be installed next month.
Electronic crossing signals will also be installed.
“Anything that they can do; anything can make a huge change,” Vallejo said.
Officials said there’s no need for crossing guards along the stretch of road because there aren’t enough pedestrians to warrant them.
Vallejo’s family announced a lawsuit against the trucking company and the driver of the truck who struck the boy.