ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - A member of the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Board resigned Thursday for reasons he said were personal.
In Marco Pena’s memo, he said, “It has been an honor to have been appointed to serve on a board that has the potential to do so much good for the people of Orange County to get them to work and to their families quicker, and help spur economic growth. I have worked hard on advocating against toll increases and working to increase minority and women owned business participation.”
He and board member Noranne Downs, the Florida Department of Transportation district secretary, are under investigation for a possible Florida Sunshine Law violation. They're accused of secretly plotting last year to replace the Expressway Authority director with Florida Rep. Steve Precourt.
Precourt did not meet the requirements for the job.
Another board member, Scott Batterson, was also included in the investigation.
Batterson was indicted and charged with one count of bribery and two counts of unlawful compensation. All three are felony charges.