• Deputies: Powder ingested by Osteen students was candy


    OSTEEN, Fla. - Seven students at Osteen Elementary were treated by paramedics after reports that they ingested an unknown substance Friday morning, according to county officials.

    But according to the Sheriff's Office, testing found the substance to be a sugar-based candy.

    Investigators said a student found a white substance in a bag on the cafeteria floor Friday morning and crushed the substance into a powder. 

    The student then gave the powder to other students, who are believed to have ingested it, some by inhaling it, authorities said.

    Emergency responders were notified of the incident at 1 p.m. when a teacher heard about the students, deputies said.

    Principle Bob Oulette said he wasn't going to take any chances, so he called authorities.

    “It caused alarm, because the students didn't know what it was and we didn't know what it was, and some of them tasted it and some of them sniffed it,” he said.

    According to deputies, none of the students appeared to be ill in any way. Initial tests showed that the substance wasn't a narcotic. It was later determined that it was candy.

    “I don't feel it was an overreaction at all,” said Oulette. “I believe keeping our children safe is our first rule and our first goal every day, and that's what we did."

    Deputies said there will be no investigation, but the school's principal said there will be some discipline for the student who found the powder and gave it to other students.

    Next Up: