SANFORD, Fla. - A 17-year-old boy who was shot in Seminole County and paralyzed for months died in December following a complication from his injury, WFTV learned Monday.
Channel 9 learned no arrests have been made in the case, but Knight's friend, Jovarius Blue, spoke out on Monday.
"We would just walk around talk to girls, have fun," Blue said.
Before he died, Knight told police the shooter was black and was driving a
Knight's mother, Vickie Little, told Channel 9 last year she hoped that information would lead police to a suspect, but her story was overshadowed by the rallies and marches across the country for Trayvon Martin.
Blue said he thinks the Martin shooting pushed Knight's case to the back burner.
"I think so," he said.
Sanford police investigator Trekelle Perkins said it was a random shooting and the shooter remains at large.
"Why do you think nobody in the community was as outraged over this?" Channel 9's Tim Barber asked Blue.
"I think because they know who shot (Martin)," said Blue.
Little said the shooting happened after the family moved to Sanford to escape gun violence in Georgia. However, after Knight passed away, Little moved back to Georgia.
Blue said he wasn't expecting Knight to pass away so soon.
"I thought he was going to stay for a little longer," Blue said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crimeline at 1-800-423-TIPS (8477), and can remain anonymous.
Previous Story: Mother of Sanford teen shot, paralyzed in drive-by looking for answers