Missing New Smyrna Beach boater found safe; Police investigate

Updated:

Loading

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. - A boater who was reported missing in New Smyrna Beach last month was found alive and well on Monday, authorities said.

However, the details surrounding 49-year-old Bernardo Enrique Rubio Hernandez’s disappearance are being investigated by authorities.

Hernandez left his home about 5 a.m. on Feb. 6 to go fishing, but his family said he never returned home.

Hernandez's car and boat trailer were found at the boat ramp, located at 170 N. Causeway.

On Thursday, authorities said Hernandez was found safe, but they’re still investigating.

During their search, Coast Guard crews used the 87-foot Cutter Kingfisher and a C-130 plane to search for Hernandez.

Family members said Hernandez liked to fish near Ponce Inlet and if he had engine trouble, there's was a chance the current swept him out to sea.