Report: Grand jury rules no probable cause to charge Orlando police in shooting death

Updated:

Loading
ORLANDO, Fla. —

In a rare move last month, state attorney Jeff Ashton asked for a grand jury to investigate the use of deadly force by two Orlando police officers.

WFTV first reported in January when officers raided a building on Arlington Street on suspicion of drug activity.

One man was shot and killed, and another was wounded on Jan. 16, investigators said.

A one-page interim report said the grand jury found no probable cause to charge the officers involved in shooting and killing the 19-year-old inside the building on Arlington Street.

Eyewitness News reporter Lori Brown talked to the victim's mother.

"He was going to school to be an engineer," said Tanjila Lippett.

Lippett struggled to maintain her composure talking about the night six months after her son was shot and killed by an Orlando police officer.

"My son was getting ready to record his song, my other one, doing a photo shoot. It all happened for no reason. It's not right," Lippett said.

Orlando police officers Anthony Mongelluzzo and Christopher Bigelow raided the Arlington Street building on suspicion of drug activity.

Fearing the two men inside were armed, the officers opened fire, according to a report.

They shot and killed 19-year-old Karvis Gamble and shot and wounded his brother, 25-year-old Cordaryl Wilson.

Police said their force was justified, after finding drugs and three guns inside.

Lippett strongly disagrees.

"If he didn't grab the gun and point it toward you there is no reason to shoot him. There was no reason for him to die," Lippett said.

Orlando police are not commenting on the case because they have not yet received notice of the grand jury's decision.

The grand jury did find basis to issue a report of recommendations for the Police Department, and can recommend law or policy changes.