Still no charges against Orlando doctor at center of pill mill investigation



ORLANDO, Fla. - Channel 9 has uncovered new details about the investigation into a local doctor accused of running a pill mill.

New records show two of Dr. Ibem Borges' patients died from overdoses after the doctor allegedly over-prescribed them painkillers.

Channel 9 has followed every development since investigators raided Borges' two offices in Kissimmee and Orlando on Friday.

Investigators said they gathered a lot of evidence during the raids, and they plan to charge Borges, but as of Wednesday, no charges have yet been filed.

In fact, the officers are still open, but Borges is not allowed to prescribe painkillers at this time.

A 30-page record from the Department of Health claims two of Borges' patients overdosed after he prescribed dangerous amounts of painkillers.

In May, a 60-year-old overdosed on oxycodone. About a year ago, Roberto Nieve's girlfriend found his body inside an Orlando apartment.

"As long as we still have people in central Florida who are dying from prescription drugs overdoses, we are still going to be perusing people who are prescribing them illegally," said Florida Department of Law Enforcement Special Agent Danny Banks.

Even though Florida saw nearly 250 fewer oxycodone deaths the first six months of last year compared to the same period in 2011, Banks said authorities will keep going after careless doctors.

"Law enforcement is not going away from fighting the problem," he said.

PREVIOUS STORY: Agents raid doctor's clinics in Orlando, Kissimmee