TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The Florida Department of Health has confirmed a third death as a result of the fungal meningitis outbreak associated with contaminated steroids.
The victim received the injection from the Marion Pain Management Center on Aug. 28, according to Channel 9's Lori Brown.
However, he did not develop symptoms for nearly six weeks.
In addition, a 13th case has been confirmed in the state. A 28-year-old woman receiving treatment from Pain Consultants of West Florida in Escambia County is the state's newest case.
All contaminated lots of NECC steroid injections in Florida have been returned in accordance with the Food and Drug Administration's recall procedures, officials said.
"It could take 48 days at the most for someone to start showing signs and symptoms," said Health Department spokesman Dain Weister.
So far, there are no cases in Orange or Seminole counties, but Weister said the counties are on the lookout for people with symptoms.
"It's really important we continue to track this and monitor this," he said. "This could be something we will be looking at into December, based on how long symptoms can take to show up."