Updated:VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. —
A Volusia County deputy risked his life when he pulled a resident out of a burning RV Monday morning.
The RV fire started shortly before 10 a.m. at the Mosquito Lagoon RV Park on Halifax Avenue.
Resident Joseph Meade said he saw smoke coming from the RV next door to his, where his friend Mark lives.
"It got real serious very quick and and I was calling Mark's name, no response, couldn't see. I tried to go in but I had to back up right away because of the heat," Meade said.
Neighbors were able to break the windows in hopes of clearing the smoke out. Witnesses said the heat and the fumes kept anyone from going inside, except the first Volusia County deputy on scene, Thomas Proctor.
"He didn't have a mask on or nothing. He just went in there like a bulldozer. I couldn't believe he did that," Meade said.
Neighbors said they watched as Proctor pulled the unconscious victim out of the RV and then tried to resuscitate him.
"He didn't stop working, from the minute he got here. I've never seen a guy work so hard," Meade said.
Officials said the victim is receiving treatment at Bert Fish Medical Center.