Man shocked, burned by power lines in critical; Good Samaritan saves life



ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - A worker who was seriously burned at a construction project in Orange County on Thursday morning is fighting for his life at an Orlando hospital.

The victim was on a lift removing air-conditioning units from a building on President's Drive near Sand Lake Road when it is believed a piece of equipment made contact with a high-voltage line, shocking him and setting him on fire.

Former volunteer firefighter Mario Maglinoe happened to be driving past the scene when he noticed the worker.

Maglinoe said the lift was 25-30 feet in the air, but he was still able to climb the lift.

“I just mainly saw the flames,” said Maglinoe. “I looked up and saw the gentleman on fire. (I) climbed up the pole, literally climbed up it, grabbed the fire extinguisher, put him out and brought the boom down."

Maglinoe said he realized lines were not live following the contact with the boom, so he helped clear the scene and wait for paramedics to arrive.

The victim was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center in critical condition. Firefighters said the he was able to talk to them while being transported by ambulance.

Officials said the victim is in critical condition with burns to over 70 percent of his body.

“Hopefully he'll heal up,” said Maglinoe.