Year after gunman's UCF plans foiled, school holds safety expo for students



ORLANDO, Fla. - Tuesday marks exactly one year since a former University of Central Florida student planned a campus attack.

James Seevakumaran had planned to kill fellow students, but he turned the gun on himself before police stormed his dorm, authorities said.

This week, UCF is hosting a safety expo to help students and staff prepare for campus emergencies. The special class teachwa students what to do in the event of a gunman on campus.

The class comes in the aftermath of Seevakumaran's planned attack. Afterward, UCF ordered a complete review of security on campus.

The top-to-bottom review of police response last year found few problems. The university is now focusing on toughening policies for people living in dorms who are not actively participating in classes and being aggressive about spreading the word that every student on campus needs to be ready for a day like the one last March.

Some of the issues addressed in the expo include staffing for emergency services on campus, emergency plans for first responders in the event of a long-term crisis and the hiring of a new staff member to manage the UCF alert system.

School officials said students can also report suspicious activity through its website.