Posted: 8:46 a.m. Thursday, May 22, 2014

Veterinarians warn dog owners of toxic palm tree

FLORIDA —

A popular palm tree in Florida could be deadly to your pet.

A 7-month-old Boston terrier became sick after eating parts of a sago palm tree at her home in Jacksonville.

Veterinarians said dogs are attracted to the taste, but the entire tree down to the seed is toxic to dogs.

Veterinarians also said about 30 percent of dogs who swallow any part of the sago palm, die.

They said the best thing to do is get rid of the plant.

Sign up for our WFTV Morning News Headlines Newsletter

 
 
Download Channel 9's News and Weather apps

Download Channel 9's News, Weather & Alarm Clock apps

Channel 9 Eyewitness News has produced the most accurate local news and weather technology available, our digital News and Weather apps.