Woman accused of killing, cutting retired cop's body into pieces takes plea deal



OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. - A Brevard County woman, who was accused of killing a retired cop and leaving his remains scattered across Osceola County, took a plea deal that could allow her to get out of prison, WFTV learned on Friday.

Paul Cadigan was killed in February 2009.

Dianne Parker, who suffers with multiple personality disorder, claimed Cadigan made advances on her during a massage.

Her defense attorneys had raised the notion that she might have been insane at the time of the killing and therefore she may not be competent to stand trial.

However, the judge had previously ruled she was competent to enter the plea Friday morning and that Parker understood what was going on.

Parker, 59, said she was sorry for the crime, but didn't have any kind words for the victim during the hearing.

She was arrested for killing 63-year-old Cadigan after parts of his body were discovered along Cypress Creek Road in Rural Osceola County.

Investigators said the last phone calls Cadigan made were to Parker.

They said Parker told detectives he made sexual advances towards her during a massage and that she pulled out a Glock handgun and shot him at least five times.

Investigators said Parker cut Cadigan into pieces because she couldn't carry his body out of her house.

In court, Parker told the judge that she did not intend to kill him.

"I didn't want it to happen.  I wasn't aiming to kill him and I'm just really sorry. I'm really sorry this happened, but I was afraid for my life, and no matter what anyone says, he wasn't a good man to me, and it's been really hard to deal with this," Parker said.

Cadigan's children relayed through a victim's advocate their horror as they tried to deal with not just the killing, but finding pieces of him in the Florida brush.

"Eventually, we were convinced we had most of him, not all, but enough to identify and bury," the family said in a statement.

She was facing life in prison without parole, but with the deal, she agreed to plea no contest to charges of second-degree murder and abuse of a dead human body and was sentenced to 22 years in prison.

The judge said at first glance it would seem this case would demand a life sentence, but permitted it after concluding the deal assured public safety and was agreed to by the victim's family.

With time served, Parker will be close to 80 years old when she gets out of prison. Parker said that after her release, she wants to go to a ministry in Texas and serve her probation there.