*This is a sponsored article by Toyota of Clermont*
Going on a trip this Thanksgiving? Traveling this time of year is exciting – and very popular. Traffic on the roads will be busier than usual, and it’s important that you stay safe! Thanksgiving is one of the busiest and most dangerous days to drive. Families and friends are traveling to the homes of relatives, trying to make it in time for dinner. If you’re going to be behind the wheel on Turkey Day, don’t forget to use safe driving techniques for the holidays!
Prep your Clermont Toyota for a road trip
Before you even get driving for a holiday drive, make sure your car is ready for the road. The experts at our Toyota Service Center recommend bringing in your Clermont Toyota for auto service before taking it on a road trip. Getting your new Toyota near Orlando caught up with car maintenance brings peace of mind when out on the road. If your car is up to date on auto service, you can feel confident about getting to Grandma’s house without any breakdowns or car troubles!
Once you’ve changed the oil and rotated the tires on your Clermont Toyota, it’s time to load up! Make sure that you know how to pack a car safely, including:
- Not exceeding the payload capacity.
- Leaving the rearview windshield clear of stuff.
- Stacking the heaviest items on the bottom.
Don’t forget to buckle up the kids, too! Ensure every little one has the proper child car seat if needed. Buckle them up correctly to keep them safe on your road trip. Always keep your children buckled in their car seat while the car is moving – even if they are having a fit. You must safely pull over and stop the car before removing a baby or child from their car seat.
Holiday safe driving tips
Now that your car is serviced, packed, and loaded up with family – it’s time to hit the road! Depending on where you’re leaving and where you’re going, your driving situations may differ. No matter where you’re driving though, keep these safe driving tips in mind:
- Leave a safe following distance between your Clermont Toyota and the cars in front of you. This space gives you more reaction time in case of sudden braking.
- Use cruise control when appropriate. This speed control mechanism has its benefits, including improved fuel efficiency and less chance of speeding. However, you should NOT use cruise control in certain situations, like rain and heavy traffic.
- Use defensive driving techniques. For safe driving during the holidays, stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Staying aware of other drivers allows you to predict any moves or changes.
- Avoid drunk driving. If you have been drinking, it’s important that you do NOT get behind the wheel. If you are driving and you spot a drunk driver, stay back and call it in to the authorities. Avoiding drunk driving helps keep everyone safer on the road!
For more tips on how to get totally ready for safe driving during the holidays, come by Toyota of Clermont! We’re located between the Florida Turnpike and Highway 27 at 16851 State Road 50!
© 2017 Cox Media Group.