With so many mechanical components to your car, it’s hard to predict exactly what can go wrong and when it can happen. The best way to stay safe while on the road is to prepare yourself for the worst. You can reduce the risk of mechanical failure in your car by taking care of it with routine car maintenance in Orlando; however, you also want to know what to do if something does go wrong. One common mechanical failure you may want to prepare for is the loss of power steering. This is a scary situation, but can be controlled if you know what you’re doing!
Orlando Toyota Service Center explains power steering
If you’re no car guru, you may be wondering what power steering is. Our Toyota Service Center in Orlando can explain. Power steering is the part of your vehicle that helps you steer your car. Without this component, it would be extremely hard to drive, as it uses a hydraulic system to make it easier to maneuver your car.
How do you know when the hydraulic system fails and your car is in need of Toyota service in Orlando? You’ll definitely notice something isn’t right with your ride, but here are some signs that point to issues with power steering:
- If you hear strange noises like a screeching or groaning when you turn the wheel, your power steering may need some Orlando Toyota service.
- If it gets extremely difficult to steer your wheel, the power steering may be going out. Get your vehicle to our Toyota Service Center right away before it goes out completely!
- If you see a red-colored fluid under your vehicle it could mean your power steering fluid is leaking, which is a problem you a want to have checked out right away!
What should you do when the power steering fails?
Emergencies happen to the best of us and you never know when your car’s power steering can fail. This is why you always want to be prepared and know what actions you should take to stay safe. Of course, our Orlando auto service experts can help you fix your ride; however, what should you if this happens to you? Here are some tips from our Toyota Service Center:
- First, you want to turn on your hazard signals to warn everyone around you that your car is having issues.
- Then, you should take your foot off the gas pedal and press on the brakes to slow your car (you may need to press harder than usual, as loss of power steering can affect your brakes).
- Try to steer your car to the side of the road while coming to a stop to get out of the way of traffic.
Although it’s possible to keep driving and try to make it to our Toyota Service Center in Orlando, it can be very dangerous. This is why we suggest pulling over and calling a tow truck.
Bring your vehicle to Toyota of Orlando at 3575 Vineland Rd. Give our Toyota Service Center a call at (866) 945-0493 to schedule an appointment in advance!
© 2018 Cox Media Group.