Charlotte, Florida - PUNTA GORDA -- A 19-year-old student at Charlotte High School was arrested Tuesday on drugs and weapons charges. No one was hurt in the incident.
Omar Terrance Anthony James Jr. was charged with two counts of possession of a weapon on school property, possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond was set at $15,000 for James, whose home address was listed on the 26000 block of Deep Creek Boulevard, Punta Gorda.
According to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office, at about 10:45 a.m. a school official and the school resource officer detected a strong odor of marijuana on James while on the high school campus in Punta Gorda Accompanying James to his car in the school parking lot, they initiated a search of the vehicle, which had a similar marijuana smell, reports stated.
Inside the car, they found a black, folding knife in the pocket of the driver’s side door and a bag of marijuana in a small compartment on the dashboard, reports said. Located in the trunk of the vehicle was a large, metal, machete-type sword, authorities said. A further search turned up a small, metal smoking pipe, with marijuana residue and smell, in the side-door pocket.
James was then arrested and transported to Charlotte County Jail for booking.
CCSO: Home burglars arrested
PORT CHARLOTTE -- Two men were arrested Wednesday after allegedly breaking into a home and waking up the resident, who knew one of the intruders, according to the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office. The two offenders were apprehended a short time later, reports said.
The victim told authorities that he woke up to his dog barking at about 1:30 p.m., and recognized one of the two men in his home on the 900 block of Tropical Avenue. Aaron Matthew Watts demanded a gun from the resident, who responded he didn’t have one and ordered the men to leave. Before leaving the premises, however, Watts threatened to kill the victim if he went to the police, reports stated.
Upon checking the home, the victim noticed a Verizon tablet, valued at $100, was missing.
After receiving a 911 emergency call, deputies went to Watts’ home on the 300 block of Kenmore St., locating the two suspects in the area. After a brief foot chase, the suspects were detained.
In conducting a search, deputies found a pocket knife on Watts and the stolen tablet on Sean Patrick Cone, reports said. The victim identified the men as the burglars.
Further investigation revealed that both men were convicted felons who failed to register in Charlotte County.
Watts and Cone, both 22, were each charged with grand theft; burglary of a dwelling, structure or conveyance while armed; and failing to register as a convicted felon.
Additionally, Cone was charged with resisting an officer with violence. Bond was set at $72,000 for Cone, who lives on the 2500 block of Lakeshore Circle, Port Charlotte.
Watts, who was charged with resisting arrest without violence, received a $64,000 bond.
The Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
- Donald Fike, 86, 27100 block of Jones Loop Road, Punta Gorda. Charge: battery. Bond: $2,000.
- Joseph Harold Null, 51, 25200 block of Rampart Blvd., Punta Gorda. Charges: driving with a suspended or revoked license, reckless driving and attempting to elude an officer. Bond: $9,000.
- Marjorie Lea Bernard, 41, 25700 block of Aysen Drive, Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of probation (original charge: petty theft). Bond: none.
- Ian Andrew Bochaine, 33, 17300 block of Pheasant Circle, Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of pre-trial release conditions (original charges: disorderly intoxication and resisting an officer). Bond: none.
- Samiri Isabelle Creque, 34, 17300 block of Terry Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: violation of pre-trial release conditions (original charges: DUI -- third violation in more than 10 years, open alcohol container in vehicle and refusal to accept summons). Bond: none.
- Richard Lee Chambers, 35, of Panama City. Charge: failing to register as a convicted felon. Bond: $5,000.
- Steven Anthony Spry, 25, 4600 block of Grobe St., North Port. Charges: failure to appear and violation of probation (original charges: grand theft, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and petty theft). Bond: none.
- Lori Ann Carpenter, 42, of North Fort Myers. Charge: grand theft. Bond: $25,000.
- William Henry Pryor, 36, of Fort Myers. Charge: driving with a suspended commercial vehicle license. Bond: $2,000.
- Timya Jalice Osman, 17, 22100 block of Felton Ave., Port Charlotte. Charge: aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Bond: She was released to home detention.
- Michael Christopher Aprile, 31, 200 block of McCall Place, Englewood. Charge: possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond: $2,500.
- Robert Michael Pacheco, 24, 200 block of Gulf Breeze Ave., Punta Gorda. Charge: possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana. Bond: $2,000.
- John William Remillard, 49, homeless of Port Charlotte. Charge: trespassing. Bond: $2,000.
- Antoinette Santa-Marie Richter, 19, of Largo, Fla. Charge: possession of drug paraphernalia. Bond: $2,500.
- Joseph John Balunas, 16, 22300 block of Montrose Road, Port Charlotte. Charges: grand theft, battery, burglary of an unoccupied dwelling and juvenile violation of probation. Bond: He was turned over to the Department of Juvenile Justice.
- Ismail Tisdale, 40, of Live Oak, Fla. Charge: arson of dwelling or structure where people present (Charlotte Correctional Institution). Bond: $100,000.
The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office reported the following arrests:
- Denise Blatz, 56, 7500 block of Tropicaire Blvd., North Port. Charge: petty theft. Bond: $120.
- Naomilee Doyle, 28, 7200 block of Memorial Drive, Port Charlotte. Charges: two counts of violation of probation (original charges: two counts of petty theft). Bond: $6,000.
- Casey Hazen, 30, 100 block of W. Marlind Court, Nokomis. Charges: two counts of driving with a suspended license and failure to register a motor vehicle. Bond: $1,620.
- Samuel Howland, 26, 6300 block of Biscayne Drive, North Port. Charge: Charlotte County warrant for violation of probation (original charge: sale of marijuana). Bond: none.
- Carolyn Kauffman, 39, 2000 block of Preymore St., Osprey. Charge: unarmed burglary of an unoccupied dwelling. Bond: $7,500.
- Dillon Kent, 25, 1500 block of Kilpatrick Road, Nokomis. Charge: driving with a suspended license. Bond: $120.
- Sawyer Monach, 21, 700 block of Myrtle Ave., Venice. Manatee County warrant for battery. Bond: none.
- Robert Morgan, 28, 100 block of Portia St., Nokomis. Charges: possession of methamphetamines and possession of narcotic equipment. Bond: $2,000.
- Alvin Reinhardt, 39, 1600 block of Neponsit Drive, Venice. Charges: burglary of an unoccupied conveyance and possession of burglary tools. Bond: $60,000.
- William Shelley, 58, 9000 block of S. Tamiami Trail, Venice. Charge: battery. Bond: none.
- Lloyd Stemple, 73, of Pocono Trail East, Nokomis. Charge: contempt of court (original charge: failure to appear for overnight camping). Bond: $25.
The Venice Police Department reported the following arrest:
- Paul Moore, 32, 300 block of N. Portia St., Nokomis. Charges: stalking and criminal mischief with damage to property. Bond: none.
-- Compiled by Gary Roberts and Madison Heid
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.