ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - Four people were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday morning after Orange County Fire Rescue crews said someone left a push-start car running in their home's garage.
Firefighters said callers reported smelling a suspicious odor at the home on Stonebriar Way, and originally thought the issue could have been a gas leak.
Firefighters said when they arrived around 5:30 a.m., one person was unconscious. In total, they said four adults were transported to Advent Health.
Firefighters said they were able to revive the family’s dog and transport it to an emergency vet.
The CDC says about 50,000 people in the U.S. go to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning each year.
Lt. Richard Arrowood said it's important to make sure your car is turned off before closing the garage door.
"Newer type cars are so quiet you don't even know they're running," Arrowood said. "So make sure they're turned off."
This is a developing story. Watch Eyewitness News for live updates.
Carbon Monoxide is dangerous. It is odorless/colorless gas often undetected until patients show symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, loss of consciousness. It can be particularly dangerous for individuals sleeping, as exposure can go on for prolonged period. PIOCP— OCFire Rescue (@OCFireRescue) June 18, 2019
Initial 911 call in at 5:28am reported possible gas leak, residents heard coughing in background, with one patient unconscious at the time. PIOCP— OCFire Rescue (@OCFireRescue) June 18, 2019
© 2019 Cox Media Group.