• Holly Hill home in ruins after fire ignites propane tank


    HOLLY HILL, Fla. - A Volusia County home is in ruins Wednesday night because of an explosive fire.

    An electrical problem sparked the blaze at a Holly Hill home Wednesday morning and then the flames ignited a propane tank.

    Only the framework is left on part of the mobile home where the fire erupted.

    The couple that lived in the home might not be able to repair it, but they escaped with their lives.

    When the windows began to shatter as a neighbor pounded on the door, homeowner Steven Davidson and his wife knew it was time to get out.

    “All we see is a lot of smoke at that time and then the explosion and then you see just nothing but flames roaring," Davidson said.

    The fire was so hot, it caused a small camping propane tank to explode. A twisted piece of metal is all that was left of it. Firefighters found it on the other side of a retention pond.

    Davidson said the flames were like a torch followed by the explosion.

    Officials said about 10 residents in the Holly Forest mobile home park had to be evacuated as a precaution.

    When firefighters arrived, Davidson asked them to save their cat, still trapped inside.

    "After a little bit, they brought the cat out and it was slobbering and had matted eyes, and they gave it oxygen and everything," Davidson said.

    Terrie Patterson said the cat had smoke inhalation.

    “They took her to the vet, she checked out; they just said, ‘Watch her,’” Patterson said.

    Investigators believe the fire started in a shed next to the home when Davidson turned on a fan as he was gathering supplies to go fishing.

    It took firefighters 45 minutes to put the fire out. They said the home could be a total loss.

    Officials say something electrical started this fire. They said it could be a fan but they’re not sure.

    The homeowner said his family might be staying in a hotel Wednesday night.

    Davidson said he has insurance.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Holly Hill home in ruins after fire ignites propane tank