• I-Drive hotel evacuated following flash fire

    Updated:

    ORLANDO, Fla. - A flash fire forced the evacuation of guests at an International Drive hotel Tuesday.

    Officials said a maintenance worker was using a torch on an air conditioning unit at the Four Points Sheraton.

    Authorities said he sparked a small fire, burning himself in the process and releasing hazardous gas from the air conditioning compressor.

    As a precaution, firefighters said they evacuated guests and staff from the hotel.

    "It was an unusual call. Little bit different. But again, no real fire to speak of, but a hazardous atmosphere was the danger if anything," said Michael Aiken of the Orlando Fire Department.

    The maintenance worker was transported to a hospital with minor burns.

    Guests and hotel staff were allowed back inside once the area was ventilated, and nobody was hurt.

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    I-Drive hotel evacuated following flash fire