• Melbourne workers caught in sewer leak flash fire


    MELBOURNE, Fla. - Two workers are recovering Monday after being caught in a flash fire.

    WFTV learned the victims did check for gases before they started working, but somewhere around 10 a.m. neighbors hear a big bang.

    Mike Searfoss didn't know what to think when he saw two Danus Utilities workers emerge from a ditch on Henry Avenue. They were working on a sewer main leak for a city of west Melbourne contractor.

    "Like (I) said, the one fella, big fella come running, run around the car ripping his shirt off," Searfoss said.

    Searfoss thought the men might've been on the wrong end of a sewage spill, but, the problem was much more serious -- sewer gases ignited and caused a flash fire.

    A medical chopper landed to take the pair away.

    "It was roughly around 10 o' clock or so, you heard a loud bang and we were inside and didn't think much about it," neighbor Scott McReynolds said.

    The men working across the street from McReynolds' home were burned.

    WFTV was told emergency crews were more concerned about what the men may have inhaled, which is why they were airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center.

    The repairs on the sewer were completed without the injured workers, but the investigation into their accident is ongoing.

    WFTV learned both injured workers are doing well Monday night.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Melbourne workers caught in sewer leak flash fire