• Mom jailed after cops say 5-year-old son overdosed on muscle relaxers


    SANFORD, Fla. - A Sanford mother bonded out of jail Friday night after deputies said her 5-year-old son overdosed on muscle relaxers. WFTV found out the boy has been taken to the hospital 28 other times for at least four other overdoses.

    Lateshia Rollins, 34, bonded out on a $4,000 bail at the Seminole County Jail.

    The sheriff's office is refusing to answer questions why the boy was still in her care after being hospitalized so many times.

    Rollin's son is recovering in the Central Florida Regional Hospital after officials said he overdosed on opiates, or muscle relaxers.

    Family members at the home where reports said the boy likely ingested the drugs refused to talk about the child or his mother.

    At first, she told police she didn't know how the boy ingested the drugs and even blamed it on her nephew, who she said has brought drugs over to the home, but he denies it, according to officials.

    Police said Rollins admitted that she had Valium in her closet, even though she's on probation.

    She was even found with a bottle of urine on her when she was arrested, according to police. They said Rollins claimed it was to help a friend who had to take a drug test.

    As previously mentioned, the boy has been hospitalized 28 times in the last five years. Besides this recent overdose on opiates, he overdosed last September on a poisonous amount of tranquilizers, officials said.

    In November 2009, the boy overdosed on insulin, and in January of that same year, he was hospitalized for having a poisonous amount of anti-inflammatory drugs in his system.

    WFTV asked the Seminole County Sheriff's Office, who handles child protective services for the area, how this mother was able to have custody of her child with this type of records. They refused to answer, citing state statutes that don't permit them to answer in order to protect the child.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Mom jailed after cops say 5-year-old son overdosed on muscle relaxers