ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — As COVID-19 cases continue to surge, Orange County officials announced Thursday that they would be suspending all county-run youth sports programs until further notice.
Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings said the decision was made because children under the ages of 11 are not eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccine.
The county estimates that nearly 1,100 children will be affected.
JUST IN: Due to ages 11 and under not being eligible for the vaccine, @OCFLMayor says @OrangeCoFL is suspending all youth county-run sports leagues, including practices and games, until further notice. Nearly 1100 kids impacted. @WFTV— Lauren Seabrook (@LSeabrookWFTV) August 12, 2021
Orange County Health Officer Dr. Raul Pino said at Thursday’s briefing that the county has recorded 17 new COVID deaths since Monday.
Pino said that of those deaths, seven were people who had been fully vaccinated.
READ: Pediatricians children are being impacted the most by COVID-19
Mayor Demings also announced the deaths of two Orange County Corrections officers from COVID-19 this month, and that another 36 jail staff had tested positive for the virus.
Earlier this week, the county said that it would expand testing sites as well as establish a vaccine site at Camping World Stadium.
The county has administered 310 vaccines since Tuesday.
READ: Central Florida hospitals pushed to the brink as COVID-19 cases continue to surge
Vaccines will be available to people 12 and older seven days a week, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
More information on the Orange County COVID-19 response can be found here.
Click here to download the free WFTV news and weather apps, and click here to watch the latest news on your Smart TV.
Cox Media Group