ORLANDO, Fla. — AdventHealth said Tuesday it has seen a substantial increase in cases of strep throat in the last week at the following Central Florida Centra Care locations:
• Up 600% at Colonialtown
• Up 500% at Hunters Creek
• Up 300% at Orange Lake
• Up 200% at Conway, Deland and South Orange
• Up 100% at Apopka, Longwood, Mount Dora, Sand Lake, St. Cloud and Winter Garden
Unlike a typical sore throat, strep throat is caused by bacteria and is most often remedied with prescription antibiotics, the company said.
Doctors said children ages 5 to 15 are the most likely to contract strep throat, but people of all ages can develop the condition.
The infection is easily spread through contact with nasal secretions or saliva, and symptoms can emerge two to five days after exposure to the bacteria.
Read the symptoms of strep below:
• Mild to severe sore throat
• Fever that begins suddenly
• Red throat, sometimes with white patches
• General discomfort or ill feeling
• Loss of appetite
• Tender, swollen lymph nodes in the neck
• Difficulty swallowing
• Stomach ache
Click here to read more about strep throat.
© 2020 © 2020 Cox Media Group