Sade Dixon, Orlando Lt. Debra Clayton killed with same gun, Markeith Loyd arrest warrant says

ORLANDO, Fla. — An arrest warrant paints a vivid picture of the last moments of Orlando Police Lt. Debra Clayton's life, and details the alleged actions of the man accused of shooting her to death on Jan. 9.

The warrant was released shortly after murder suspect Markeith Loyd appeared in Orange County court on charges connected with Clayton’s death.

Loyd is also accused of killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend in December.

Citing a forensic examination by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the arrest warrant says the same gun was used in both killings: A .40 caliber Smith and Wesson handgun.

Loyd was in possession of the gun when he was arrested Tuesday after a manhunt that lasted more than a month.

Lt. Debra Clayton’s confrontation with Markeith Loyd

On Jan. 9, Clayton was on duty and had stopped at a Pine Hills-area Walmart to purchase several small items and was on the way back to her patrol car when she was approached by another shopper, the warrant said.

The individual told Clayton that while she was in line to check out, she realized Loyd was standing behind her, investigators said.

Clayton called in the sighting at about 7:16 a.m., and identified the suspect as “Markeith,” the report said.

As Clayton was on the radio with the dispatcher, three gunshots could be heard and the call went dead, investigators said.

Raw: Markeith Loyd leaving ORMC to head to jail

According to security video of the incident, Loyd, wearing a distinct black shirt with the word “Security” on it, is seen walking out of the Walmart.

Police are not releasing the Walmart video.

When Clayton confronts him, he runs and she takes chase, the video shows.

Loyd can be seen looping around while pulling a handgun from the waistband of his pants before taking cover behind a concrete pillar, the warrant said.

Seeing this, Clayton draws her gun and heads toward the parking lot, but is not able to take cover before Loyd fires off three shots, the video shows.

Channel 9's Shannon Butler breaks news or arrest warrant release:

One of them hit Clayton, fracturing her hip bone and sending her to the ground, the warrant said.

Loyd approached with his gun leveled at Clayton, firing as he walked, investigators said.

Clayton was able to roll onto her back and fire several times as Loyd stands over her, continuing to fire, the video shows.

“The suspect now leaves Sergeant Clayton lying on her back and runs to a two-door vehicle parked in the adjacent row and casually leaves the area,” the warrant said.

Loyd told investigators he shot Lt. Clayton because she pulled her gun first, according to the warrant.

Multiple Orlando Police Department officers responded to the scene and three worked continually to give Clayton CPR until paramedics arrived.

The injured officer was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center where she was pronounced dead at 7:40 a.m.

In all, investigators said 16 shots were fired over the course of about six seconds -- eight by Loyd and eight by Clayton, the warrant said.

With immediate medical care Clayton could have survived all her gunshot wounds, except the final shot, which hit her in the neck, officials said.

Loyd was not captured until Tuesday night, when investigators tracked him to an abandoned home on Lescot  Lane.