• Woman shocked by power line while working in Lake Mary


    SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. - A worker with a traffic control company was injured after she was shocked when her bucket came in contact with a 7,200-volt power line, said the Seminole County Fire Department.

    Officials said she is in serious but stable condition.

    The worker's sister said her name is Renee Newell, 44.

    Newell was shocked while doing maintenance work on a traffic signal at the corner of Country Club Road and Ronald Reagan Boulevard, officials said.

    Duke Energy responded to the scene and said one power line was down.

    "They paint those poles and the boom as it went up hit a power line and 7,200 volts went through her," Newell's sister Wendy Curry said.

    Fire crews had to use a ladder truck to get her out because when they got there, the bucket she was in was still energized and any additional contact would have shocked a rescue worker.

    "She has severe burns. I'm on my way to the hospital now to check on her," said Curry.

    Curry said she was expecting the worst.

    Fire crews said a direct hit could have killed Newell who is still in the hospital.

    Officials said 777 customers were without power following the accident.

    The intersection of Ronald Reagan Boulevard and South Country Club Drive in Lake Mary was closed for several hour while crews worked in the area. The intersection was reopened around 2:30 p.m.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Woman shocked by power line while working in Lake Mary