• Woman dies, man fighting for life due to carbon monoxide poisoning


    PALM BAY, Fla. - A Palm Bay man is fighting for his life, his girlfriend is dead and investigators said they believe poisonous carbon monoxide fumes are to blame.

    The couple lived in a home on Eldron Boulevard in Palm Bay. 

    Investigators said the couple was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from a generator that was left running in the garage.

    "He was real pleasant on Saturday night. It must have happened Saturday night," said neighbor Harold Lengel.

    A neighbor told WFTV there was a weekend power outage on their side of Eldron Boulevard.

    But, he didn't realize anything was seriously wrong next door until a relative of one of his neighbors paid him a visit.

    "They knew it wasn't like him to not show up for work and when they got here the house was locked," Lengel said.

    When they got the house open, they found the couple unconscious.

    Assistant fire Marshal Cpt. Ron Bailey told WFTV the couple may not have even realized they were being poisoned by carbon monoxide.

    "You don't taste it, you don't smell it, and you get a little bit tired. In the, stages you get nauseated and you just fall asleep," said Bailey.

    "Right now, we hope we're praying that he gets better. Right now, we are just waiting," said a friend, Carlos Vizcarrondo.

    Also, without proper ventilation,   a generator, a car running in the garage, a propane stove or even a barbecue grill could all prove deadly.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Woman dies, man fighting for life due to carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police identify British family killed in Titusville crash