A pleasant barbecue turned into an uncomfortable experience for a Houston boy when a small piece of a metal grill brush became stuck in his throat.
Allyson Kopel told KHOU she was grilling some chicken Wednesday for her 12-year-old son, Zach, and his friend. But something was wrong after he ate dinner.
“Whenever I swallowed, it really hurt," Zach told the television station. “I didn’t know what it was, I thought maybe it was a chicken bone. But it got in my throat, and it just stuck there.”
When the pain did not go away, Kopel took her son to an emergency room, where an X-ray revealed a tiny fiber made of steel, KHOU reported.
This 12-year-old has a tiny metal fiber stuck in his throat.. can you see it? It's a bristle from a metal brush used to clean the grill his mom had just cooked chicken on. Luckily, he was okay.. BUT they want you to know.. this happens more than you'd think. @KHOU pic.twitter.com/f5fSVtWDqQ— Janelle Bludau (@JanelleKHOU) June 23, 2019
“It was just a freakish sort of thing, I thought, I wonder if a bristle fell off?" Kopel told the television station.
Her theory was confirmed when doctors pulled the wire from Zach's throat and found a tiny bristle from a brush she had used to clean the barbecue grill before cooking.
“Thin as dental floss, sharp as a tack on both ends, tiny," Kopel told KHOU. “Crazy that something that small could send you to the ER for so long."
© 2019 Cox Media Group.