A Kentucky man was diagnosed with a flesh-eating infection after he went camping along the Green River.
According to WKYT, Jonathan Metcalf and his family, who live in Lancaster, visited the river on Memorial Day weekend. But the trip came to an early end when Metcalf started to feel uncomfortable, dizzy and feverish after camping and swimming in the area.
After the family returned home, Metcalf developed a painful sore on his thigh that eventually prevented him from walking, he told the TV station.
The Garrard County man is still recovering from the bacterial infection, and he requires an in-home nurse for his treatment.— WKYT (@WKYT) July 17, 2019
WARNING: Some of the photos in this story are extremely graphic. https://t.co/PmFgTFeTeV
He then went to the doctor, who said Metcalf was suffering from necrotizing fasciitis, WKYT reported. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the rare, life-threatening infection typically occurs when so-called "flesh-eating bacteria" enter a person's system through an open wound.
Metcalf said surgeons ended up removing a 6-inch piece of his thigh. He remained in the hospital for two weeks and still needs a skin graft, he told the TV station.
"This never would have crossed my mind something like this could have hit me," Metcalf told WKYT.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.