ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Seven football players from Michigan State University have been charged for their role in a postgame fight in the tunnel at Michigan Stadium last month, prosecutors said Wednesday.
The most serious charge is against cornerback Khary Crump, who faces a felony count of felonious assault in the Oct. 29 incident, according to the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office. Linebacker Itayvion “Tank” Brown, safety Angelo Grose, cornerback Justin White, defensive end Brandon Wright and defensive end Zion Young are each charged with one count of aggravated assault, a misdemeanor, according to MLive.com. Prosecutors added that linebacker Jacoby Windmon faces one count of misdemeanor assault and battery, the news organization reported.
The incident occurred after Michigan’s 29-7 victory in Ann Arbor against their in-state rivals from Michigan State. No Wolverines players were charged.
Video captured on social media by several reporters and published by the Detroit News showed Michigan State players allegedly throwing punches and kicks toward Wolverines defensive back Ja’Den McBurrows in the tunnel at Michigan Stadium.
Both teams use the same tunnel to go to their locker rooms.
Both Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh and Michigan State coach Mel Tucker addressed the media following the incident, WILX-TV reported.
“Following the altercation between members of the Michigan and Michigan State football teams on October 29, the University of Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security (UMDPSS) conducted a thorough investigation into potential criminal liability,” a statement released Wednesday afternoon read. “At the conclusion of that investigation, UMDPSS submitted to the Prosecutor’s Office a request for criminal charges against several individuals — all student-athletes on the Michigan State football team.”
The seven players were indefinitely suspended by Michigan State after the incidents, according to MLive. Another player who was suspended, Spartans running back Malcolm Jones, is not being criminally charged, the Detroit Free Press reported.
“At the University of Michigan we appreciate the thoughtful, deliberate approach from the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office to this unfortunate incident,” Michigan President Santa J. Ono in a statement, according to the Detroit Free Press. “We also want to express our concern for all the players involved, especially those who were injured.
Breaking Seven Michigan State football players are being charged, with one facing a felony charge, for the assault on two Michigan players in the tunnel after the two teams played on Oct. 29, the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office announced.— ESPN (@espn) November 23, 2022
More: https://t.co/FglliRDSfH pic.twitter.com/hvIjXNEqea
“The University of Michigan will continue to cooperate fully with any additional reviews of this matter.”
Green was put in concussion protocol, according to his father, George Green. The elder Green told ESPN that the family plans to pursue charges against those involved in the altercation.
Michigan State’s athletic director and Tucker did not immediately return requests for comment, according to The Associated Press and Michigan news outlets.
©2022 Cox Media Group