Mixed martial arts superstar Conor McGregor said he was able to avoid injury after apparently being struck by a vehicle while he was riding his bicycle in his native Ireland.
McGregor, 34, wrote in an Instagram post on Friday that he “could have been dead” after being struck by a car, ESPN reported.
“Got a bang of a car just now from behind,” McGregor wrote. “A sun trap, the driver couldn’t see me. Full speed straight thru me. Thank you, God, it wasn’t my time.”
In a now-deleted video that McGregor also posted on his Instagram account, the driver stopped to check on the former Ultimate Fighting Championship titlist, The Washington Post reported. The man offered an apology and then gave the former featherweight and lightweight champion a lift while putting the bicycle in his trunk.
McGregor (22-6), the most prominent star in UFC history, has not fought since suffering a leg injury to Dustin Poirer in July 2021, ESPN reported.
Earlier this week, McGregor said UFC officials asked him to appear on “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series later this year, the sports news outlet reported. He previously coached during the 2015 season of the series.
McGregor also had possible legal issues earlier this week when it was learned that he was under investigation in Spain for an alleged assault on a woman near the Mediterranean island of Iziba.
McGregor has denied the allegations.
"I could have been dead!"— Chamatkar Sandhu (@SandhuMMA) January 27, 2023
Conor McGregor was just hit by a car while riding his bicycle.pic.twitter.com/QMembqCZeX
©2022 Cox Media Group