*This is a sponsored article by Toyota of Orlando*
Does your life revolve around football in the fall? It’s no small task being a big football fan. Entire weekends are dedicated to tailgating, watching, cheering, and sometimes driving to away games. If you’re taking a road trip to see your favorite team play in person, Toyota of Orlando wants to refresh you on road trip safety tips.
Prepping for an Orlando Toyota road trip
When you’re making plans and buying tickets to the big game, don’t forget to make sure your car is prepped too. Before you take on any road trip, you should get your vehicle caught up on routine car maintenance. Stop by our Orlando Toyota Service Center so our auto service technicians can fully inspect your car and ensure it’s safe enough for a trip!
Once you’ve been given the OK by our Toyota-trained technicians, it’s time to start packing. Toyota of Orlando wants to remind you how to pack a car safely! Tips for packing a car include:
- Keep heavy items on the bottom. Do not place anything that can be squished or broken near the bottom. You should leave smaller and more fragile items at the top.
- Do not block your view. Double check that you’re able to see out of your windows and rear windshield.
- Do not exceed the payload capacity. Going over the manufacturer’s set payload capacity will increase your chance of a rollover.
Last but not least, before you head out on the road, make sure everyone is safely buckled up! If you have any children, check that all car seats are properly installed and that everyone is correctly wearing their seatbelt.
Defensive driving tips for road trips
Once you’re out on the open road, you may come across a lot of hazards and irresponsible drivers. It’s always best to be prepared for these types of things while behind the wheel. To be prepared, use defensive driving techniques like:
- Leave a safe following distance. Keep room between your Orlando Toyota and the cars in front of you. This space allows you to have more reaction time in case of sudden braking or swerving.
- Do not use cruise control in heavy traffic or rain. Turn off this feature completely to prevent losing control of your Orlando Toyota.
- Use headlights and windshield wipers in the rain. Maximize your visibility and ensure other drivers will be able to see you!
- Avoid distractions. Keep your phone out of sight and out of reach, this way you’re not tempted to check it. Minimize other distractions like food and drink, music, and passengers.
One of the most important safe driving tips to remember is to NEVER drink and drive. If you’re heading to a tailgate or coming home from a game, select someone to be a designated driver. No one that’s been drinking should get behind the wheel. If necessary, call a friend or a cab to pick you up and get you home safely!
For more tips on how to prepare for a road trip or safe driving, give our Orlando Toyota dealership a call! (888) 725-3520!
© 2018 Cox Media Group.