• Carbon monoxide from generator kills 1, hospitalizes 3 in Daytona Beach

    By: Jason Kelly

    Updated:

    DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - One person was killed and three others were hospitalized early Wednesday after they were poisoned by carbon monoxide from a generator in a home, the Daytona Beach Fire Department said.

    A friend discovered three unconscious adults at about 4:45 a.m. in a home on South Keech Street, agency spokeswoman Sasha Staton said.

    A generator was running in the home and a door was slightly open, she said.

    "They were very friendly. They helped us move. They were good people," neighbor Jason Boreilli said.

    Read: How to protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning

    Read: What foods to keep, toss if you lost power after Irma

    Firefighters said the friend and a Daytona Beach police officer pulled the victims from the home and they were taken to a hospital, where one of them died.

    The friend of the victims was taken to the hospital to be treated for moderate exposure and the police officer was assessed for mild exposure, Staton said. He has been released from the hospital.

    The two people found in the home were transferred to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach, where they'll be placed into a hyperbaric chamber to remove the carbon monoxide from their blood.

    Three people died and four others were hospitalized Tuesday afternoon suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator at an Orange County home, deputies said.

    Read: Deputies: 3 dead, 4 hospitalized after running generator found in Orange County home

    Read: Volusia County: 'World's most famous beach' meets Atlantic's largest storm

    Six adults and two children were hospitalized Tuesday morning after they were exposed to carbon monoxide at a Titusville home, where firefighters found a generator running in a closed garage.

    "The Daytona Beach Fire Department strongly urges everyone that is still without power and using a generator to please keep the generators outside of the house," Staton said. "Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless poisonous gas that can cause sudden illness and death if too much is inhaled."

    Firefighters said generators should be kept outside homes and garages, away from open doors, windows, vents and air intakes.

    Read: Carbon monoxide poisoning sickens Titusville family

    Photos: Hurricane Irma damage in Volusia County

    "If you are running a generator and begin to feel sick, dizzy, light-headed, or experiencing flu-like symptoms, please get fresh air immediately," Staton said.

    Officials said homeowners should outfit their home with a carbon monoxide detector, especially if they're using a generator to weather power outages caused by Hurricane Irma.

    Read: 6 infectious illnesses you can contract from floodwater

    Next Up:


  • Headline Goes Here

    Carbon monoxide from generator kills 1, hospitalizes 3 in Daytona Beach

  • Headline Goes Here

    Puerto Rico issues new data on Hurricane Maria deaths

  • Headline Goes Here

    Puerto Rico grid 'teetering' despite $3.8 billion repair job

  • Headline Goes Here

    FEMA: Puerto Rico focused on disaster response capability

  • Headline Goes Here

    Delta warns of flight cancellations due to subtropical storm Alberto